Saturday, March 06, 2010

Don't Cry for me America

I was born in Coimabtore, brought up in Bangalore and Chennai, did my engineering in Perundurai, worked in Chennai and Noida, got married in Chennai, went on Honeymoon to Kumarakom, Cochin and Munnar.. Hold on, there is a point to all of this... it was while ; I will let your filmy imagination run; it was while we were running in between rows and rows of tea plants , that the call came.

The call to come to the United States...A week later, 6 yrs back to the date,I landed in Detroit international airport headed to the one of the most beautiful cities in the US, Ann Arbor, MI.

6 Yrs and 2 kids later, I can say this ... This has been a dream run... One that has made me forget that I had come to this country for work, a people and a country so nice , that make you feel that you belong there , that you are a part of them, never once making you feel that you are an alien in their country... When ever the question was asked " Where are you from ?" I always answered either San Antonio or Boston or Sunnyvale, never did I say I was from India, I/we had so become a part of the American people, only the passport revealing our true origins.

Awesome memories of the so many places that we have visited; from Niagara falls in the east to Tahquamenon falls in the mid west to upper Yosemite falls in the west; from Lake Ontario to Lake Superior to Crater lake; from Mt Washington to the Grand Tetons to Mt Shastha; from the Washington monument to Sears tower to Stratosphere, from Wall st to the Magnificent mile to El Camino Real, from Harvard University to University of Michigan to Stanford university, We have seen them all... (With regards to the universities, I only said see, not study! )

And all the different people that we have mingled and interacted with,White Americans, blacks, Hispanics, Chinese, Indians and Gujjus :) all of them absorbed us and made us a part of their lives.

It is now time to leave the United states , with everlasting memories and a heavy heart, we say bye bye.

To borrow a line from Evita, Don't cry for me America!, I shall...cry for you.

No comments: